Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My First Night / Showing Up For Day #2

All things considered, it was a good day.  Despite the chemo treatment starting later than expected, the IV took exactly three hours from start to finish.  Florence and I got home to see a very happy Sadie eating her dinner with Grandma Sandy.  My daughter was very happy to see me, and I was incredibly happy that I had more than enough energy to play with her, to help clean up after dinner, to upload some pictures from the past few days, to take out the garbage, to bust chops (Florence’s and my mother’s), to receive phone calls and to watch TV.

Fell asleep around 11:15 PM, woke up at 3:30 AM when I felt the entire house vibrating.  Thankfully, my house was not falling apart at the seams, but rather the garbage truck was just idling right in front of my house while it collected garbage from the block.  Took me about 20 minutes to fall back asleep, and then slept until 6:15 AM when I woke up to start preparing Sadie’s daycare bag for the day.  My mom and I went to Dunkin Donuts to pick up breakfast and head to chemo.  What a world of difference it makes to have the 8 AM appointment instead of the 12:45 PM appointment…

When we got here, there was not a waiting room full of patients, they took me back to the chemo suite on time, we had no delivery in receiving the drugs from pharmacy, they got me hooked up and we started the drip at 8:30 AM.  Three hours later, and we’ll be on our way.

Today’s random thought – if you’ve never watched the Hub (it’s a fairly new cable channel), then I highly recommend you give it a shot.  Their nighttime programming schedule includes classic TV shows from yesteryear such as Doogie Howser, Family Ties, Wonder Years, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley and the 1960’s Batman.  On the weekends, they have this show called “Family Game Night”.  It’s basically an hour long infomercial for Hasbro games, but it’s a hoot.  Two family teams compete in life-size versions of our favorite childhood games – Sorry, Bop It, Cranium, Yahtzee, Twister, Connect 4, Boggle.  The host is fairly cheesy, the studio audience is obviously being force fed their lines (like yelling “Sorry” when someone gets bumped off the board), and the families who play the games are clearly morons.  But there is something oddly comforting about watching some of our favorite games coming to life.

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe you actually used the phrase "it's a hoot". :-)

    ReplyDelete