Monday, January 3, 2011

First Day Thoughts

So, my first day of chemo has begun, although with some delays.  The appointment time was 12:45 PM to get blood work, with the IV drip scheduled to start at 1:00 PM.  However, it wasn’t until 2:10 PM that they finally took me into the back to begin hooking me up to the IV.  Apparently, pharmacy was running behind schedule – pharmacy is the group who mixes the drugs, like bartenders of supremely highly toxic boozes.  And, a number of other patients were running long - imagine having a reservation at a swanky restaurant only to learn that all the patrons before you took too long eating their meal, and now you have to wait for your table.  But eventually, I got all hooked up, turned on my computer and got to work.

By “work”, I don’t mean surfing the Internet (which I did do), but my day job.  It is my intention to continue working full-time while I go through chemotherapy treatments.  Memorial Sloan-Kettering has Wi-Fi access, so the only different between working at home and working there is the annoying IV tube sticking out of my hand.  On days that I am severely fatigued, I will take naps during the day, strategically scheduled to minimize missing meetings, and extend my work day over a longer period of time.

On a completely random note, it really pisses me off when people “miss” when they use the toilet.  Every guy reading this blog knows exactly what I’m talking about.  It’s one thing for it to happen in the bathrooms at Penn Station, when you practically expect to find urine all over the toilet seat, due to all the drunks and bums.  But when you’re in an office, these are supposedly responsible, employable adults who don’t act any better than the drunks and bums.  Then, you start looking around the office, trying to figure out if you’ve recently seen anyone enter the bathroom and whether you can identify the culprit.  If you’re asking yourself why I’m writing about this, let’s just say that I’m still looking for the culprit here at MSKCC…

5 comments:

  1. "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, please be neat and wipe the seat."

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my first internship out here in hollywood we had a "mad crapper" Literally this guy would use our toilets late at night and clog them up with his business along with pencils and other wacky assorted items. Thankfully I never had to clean up the business of the "mad crapper". Congrats on getting day 1 over and done with buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you a new series...it's in the mail...just in time...whew!
    I totally know what you mean, BTW...I used to live with 4 guys my senior year of college. And at least one of them constantly sprinkled while he tinkled. Amelia and I used to bring Lysol to the bathroom every time we'd use it. Ah, memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blogging, Bryan. You are truly such a techie now. Good luck tomorrow--well be sending good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always have pish all over our seats in our house. but better than crap. we have that sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete