Thursday, January 6, 2011

Florence's Birthday

Yesterday was a great day as I had more than enough energy to sufficiently celebrate my beloved wife’s birthday.  Florence celebrated her birthday on January 5th, and ever since my chemo schedule was announced, I was personally disappointed that my first week of treatment had to coincide with her birthday.  Birthdays are an important celebratory milestone, and it means a lot to me to be able to celebrate her birthday appropriately.

So, I put a plan into action.  Once we agreed upon her birthday present (because, seriously, it is hard for a guy to shop for a girl without some input), I played a slight ruse.  I told her that I was going to the store to pick it up, but when I returned home, I “informed” her that the item was out of stock, that we were going to have to order it online and that it would not arrive in time for her birthday.  Little did she know that I already had the present in my possession to give her on her birthday.  So, when she suggested that I order it online, I “took care” of it, but only once she left the room so as to avoid her knowing I didn’t need to purchase it.

On Wednesday morning, after her shower, the present and the card were waiting for her on the bed, and she was very nicely surprised to have the necklace to wear that day.  Upon entering Sadie’s room, Florence found the card and the present that Sadie had selected for her Mommy and asked me to purchase on her behalf.  Also a nice surprise, if I do say so myself!  Mommy and daughter even took a picture together before heading out for the day...
The icing on the cake (literally!) was that, after the day’s chemo, my Dad drove me to the bakery to pick up a surprise birthday cake for Florence, which I decorated myself.  We tried taking a family picture of the three of us, but as you can see below, Sadie was more interested in the icing than she was in the picture.

The night ended with Florence and I having a nice, relaxing dinner at home together, and then sending out Sadie’s tenth month album to our family and friends.  If you haven’t gotten the e-mail, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're doing well and able to continue with the great celebrations with the family. And really...with Sadie as your offspring, are you remotely surprised she was more interested in the icing than the photo?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im just surprised that you got the spelling right.

    ReplyDelete