Monday, January 10, 2011

Fatigue

Like a bag of bricks…  Seriously, there is no other way to describe the onslaught of fatigue I started experiencing on Thursday afternoon.  After Thursday’s chemo, I took a two hour nap in the evening.  After Friday’s chemo, I took a four hour nap in the afternoon/evening.  On Saturday, I was asleep for more hours than I was awake, by a substantial margin.  After waking up at 6:30 AM to make Sadie’s bottle, I was awake for 3 hours, slept for 2 hours, woke up for 2 hours, slept for 6 hours, woke up for 2 hours, then slept through the rest of the night.  Sunday was slightly similar to Saturday.  Was awake for a few hours in the morning, took a 2 hour nap, ate breakfast, somehow managed to be awake (not intentionally) for 5 hours, and then my body made up for it by sleeping 5 hours before waking up for dinner and then going back to sleep.

Yes, fatigue sucks and it’s draining, but it was totally expected.  Instead, I’d like to focus on the positives of the past couple of days:
1)  I’m eating – while there may have been times that I was tired and didn’t want to get out of bed to eat, I always did eat.  And, when it was time for my body to dispose of the food after it was done processing it, that disposal always happened consistent with the expectations of my bodily functions.
2)  Poop – yes, I’m talking about poop again.  It doesn’t matter how old we get, the topic of poop will always be a fascinating one.  Constipation was not a problem this weekend.  Instead of the once daily marathon sessions that I am “famously” known for, I am evolving into a sprint runner – greater frequency, shorter durations, same distance traveled.  I do miss Taco Tuesdays…
3)  Coherence – While I may have been severely exhausted, whenever I was awake, I was able to maintain “coherent” conversations and be my typically charming self.
4)  25% Done – I have already completed a complete week of chemotherapy treatments, and now I have two full weeks to recover and prepare for the next one!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're giving your body the rest it needs...it's a serious war you're bringing to the cancer, and while it may take some energy out of you, that's what you'll need for the long term victory. Keep taking it easy, and give a yell if you need help, entertainment, whatever.

    On the topic of poop (it will never lose its wonder as a topic of conversation), I think you should try some corn chowder - as creamy as possible. Four benefits: 1) Delicious! 2) Keep some calories coming in. 3) Help keep the poop coming out. 4) On the topic of poop, well, corn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for being 25% done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah G-man - congrats on being 1/4 of the way there!! Hope you're bouncing back this week.

    ReplyDelete